cutest blog on the block

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Tattoos....

Yep, we have them...tattoos....and we continue to get more. Why? I like them. Hubby likes them. We only get them if they mean something personal to us. For instance: my favorite bible verse around my ankle (Ecc. 3:1-8), my hubby's St Micheal tattoo, my cross (made out of 3 nails)....etc.

One thing that has always annoyed me is when people grab ONE bible verse and use it to defend their reasoning to do/not to do something. I guess that if you only pull out one or two words or phrases, you could make the bible say anything....but it MUST BE read in context.

Here is the verse that most people will quote in their defense of NOT getting a tattoo:
Levitcus 19:28 (KJ Version):
Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

Yep, looks pretty clear - probably shouldn't have any piercings or tattoos according to this verse....but what context was it given in?

This verse was for the Jews when they were operating under the old law. We were set free from the slavery of the law when Christ came. (Gal. 2:15)


Also: 1 Cor. 6:12 says that everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial.

Hmmmm....

So....anyways - anything that may (or may not) be said or thought about this will likely not change my mind. Hubby and I have even talked to our priest about this and we are totally at peace about our decisions to get tattoos since talking with him. I've always given much thought and prayer to my tattoos....at the very least, they mean something to ME - and in no way, shape or form dis-honor or dis-respect the church or the Lord.

0 comments:

Post a Comment