cutest blog on the block

Friday, February 19, 2010

Fasting

Gospel, Mt 9:14-15
14 Then John's disciples came to him and said, 'Why is it that we and the Pharisees fast, but your disciples do not?'
15 Jesus replied, 'Surely the bridegroom's attendants cannot mourn as long as the bridegroom is still with them? But the time will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast.


This is today's gospel. I love it. It tells as Catholics why we fast. I also happen to like what my 7 year old daughter said to my mother yesterday while they were discussing what they were giving up (giving up = fasting) for lent (who is protestant and told her in HER religion they don't give up something for lent). She said this: "We give something up for lent because Jesus gave up his LIFE for us." Yep, proud moments in this mommy's world. See, the kiddos GET IT...and are spreading the word. So I turned to my mom and said, "and it doesn't matter WHAT religion you are, you can still give something up, right?!"

So with renewed (thanks 7 year old daughter) fervor, I fast from meat today....if Jesus gave up his life for us, I can give up meat on Friday's during lent....what a small sacrifice compared to what HE gave!

On other news....wait, there is no other new! LOL.....life is moving on as normal, the kids are growing and attending school, Hubby is working more than not - yep, nothing significant to report! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment